eMarine

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Happy Birthday Rich

Happy Birthday Rich DeVos: Business Legend, Author, Philanthropist

Billy Florence: Dexter Yager and I have pleasure to know and work with Rich DeVos for a number of years. Dexter, Rich is a Grand Rapids native, right?

Dexter Yager: True, Billy. Rich (Richard M) DeVos was born March 4, 1926, in Grand Rapids, Mich. He attended Calvin College in Grand Rapids and married a Grand Rapids girl. Billy, did you know that Rich is a veteran?

Billy Florence: Yes, Dexter, I do remember that. Rich and I served in the same branch of service. Rich served in the US Air Force from 1944 to 1946. My service was begun several decades later. Rich has a birthday coming up. Believe he’ll be 81.

Dex, I was recently reading Pat Williams book about Rich, “How to Be like Rich DeVos, and saw your insightful comment about building a business from the beginning.

Dexter Yager: Rich and Jay built their business from scratch. They did it the hard way. They know what it’s like to be poor. It’s impossible to replace that experience. That’s what I did, too, and that’s what I told Pat in his book.

Billy Florence: Speaking of experience. Rich shares many of his experiences in his three books. Did you have a favorite?

Dexter Yager: I’ve enjoyed all three of the books Rich has written: BELIEVE!, Compassionate Capitalism and Hope From My Heart: Ten Lessons for Life. It would be hard to pick a favorite.

Billy Florence: Dex, my favorite might be the most recent one, Hope From My Heart . It describes the life-changing experience of Rich’s heart transplant at age 71, and imparts ten lessons for life.

Dexter: Good point, Billy. The life lessons in this book are important at any life stage. Rich covers subjects like persistence, confidence, optimism, respect and faith.


Dexter Yager leads Internet Services
Billy Florence is president of IBOAI and owns Equad news

© 2005 provides to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx by esource news


Keywords: Billy Florence, Dexter Yager, Rich DeVos